One of 2022’s hottest nail trends so far have been Aurora nails. This beautiful style with a shimmer effect means nails change colour depending on how the light hits them, perfect for clients looking for a style that will really make them stand out.
There are a few different techniques professionals use to get that staple holographic aurora nail look, says Anastasia Totty, a LeChat Nails educator. “Most of them are created using what nail pros call ‘white chrome’,” she explains. “It’s a highly pigmented powder that has an aurora effect (light lavender or gold hue) depending on lighting.”
Create the look
- To create your aurora nails, first file and prep your nails and apply a gel base coat.
- Then add two coats of gel in white or pastel nail colours and let that cure.
- Rub the nail with the iridescent powder or glitter.
- A popular trend from South Korea and Japan would be to then cut a piece of foil the shape of the nail and add it over the white chrome with sculpting gel.
- Or, you can cut a piece of holographic foil into an oblong shape that’s smaller than the nail plate, and lay it centrally top-to-bottom on the nail, using hard gel to encapsulate the foil and build a raised area.
- Then pair with a topcoat for even more shine. These encapsulating techniques are the most difficult part, making it a challenging design, but they pack the biggest visual punch.